The 18th Maccabiah Games, which began yesterday, will dominate the Jewish sports news until its conclusion on the 23rd. Here’s a quick roundup:
- A memorial service for the four Australian athletes who died at the 1997 games when a bridge they were walking across during the opening ceremonies collapsed.
- A New York Times piece on swimmer Jason Lezak, who passed up the World Championships to compete in Israel.
- A preview from the Jerusalem Post
- Broadcast plans for the games
- And, if you like irreverent sports reporting, try this Maccabiah preview from Deadspin.